Ear infection in babies is quite common. However, it is important that you are aware about the symptoms of this condition and also the right ways to deal with it in order to be able to relief your baby quickly and effectively from this painful condition. This article will address all your common queries and will provide you with all the information that you should have for effectively dealing with ear infection in babies.
1How to know if your baby is suffering from an ear infection
Well, this is particularly a crucial point. When it comes to babies it might be really difficult to actually understand that your baby is suffering from an ear infection. The very first sign should be if your baby suddenly turns fussy and irritated. If your baby is running a fever then it is also a good sign indicating that you need to check the ear of the baby for an infection. An ear infection more often than not is accompanied with a fever, showing the immunity of your baby’s body is fighting with the infection.
Some other common symptoms that can help you to tell if your baby is suffering from an ear infection includes,
- The baby pulling or grabbing his or her ears. However, there can be several other reasons or absolutely no reason for your baby to pull or grab his or her ears and you should consider this sign only when it is present along with other symptoms.
- Often ear infection in babies is accompanied with gastrointestinal infections and hence if your baby is having diarrhea or bouts of vomiting all of a sudden there is a reason to check for an ear infection. Reduced appetite is the other common symptom that you can observe in babies with ear infection.
- If your baby is having or just had a cold, flu, or sinus infection, there is high chance that your baby is having an ear infection.
- You might also notice a whitish or yellowish fluid discharge from the ear of the baby which is a sure shot sign of ear infection. However, even if your baby is having ear infection it might not cause any discharge. At the same time if there is a discharge it does not mean that the infection is severe, it only indicates that it needs immediate treatment.
- An unpleasant smell coming out of the ear of the baby is the other clear indication of an ear infection.
- If your child is suddenly having difficulty in sleeping and he or she seems to wake up right after falling asleep due to some uncomfortableness, check out for ear infection. As the uncomfortableness of an ear infection can increase when lying down.